Search This Blog

Sunday, 19 January 2014

Sunday Spa - Ziaja Antibacterial Algae Gel Mask



Sundays are usually my spa days. I make time for some hair treatments, pedicure and manicure and for face masks. Those moments are particularly exciting when I get to try a new product and this Sunday it has been Ziaja Antibacterial Gel Mask with 100% algae spirulina.

I purchased this mask from my beautician who recommended it after hearing about my problems with hormonal break-outs. This mask is supposed to be perfect for problematic skin as spirulina algae has clarifying and antibacterial properties.


As the mask is originally meant for professional beauty salons, it is not sold as a ready-made product. Instead the packaging contains two separate components - antibacterial gel base and 100% blue-green algae spirulina which are then blended together in order to create smooth green paste. The mask's active ingredients are proteins, allantoin and provitamin B5.


While the whole blending process may seem like a bit of a hassle, the set contains a measuring spoon which allows you to get the necessary amount of product. 





The colour of the actual spirulina is dark-green and the formula is powdery. I found the packaging hard to open which made it impossible to keep the powder from going everywhere. The smell of algae was also quite intensive - a bit fishy and sea-like. Definitely not be the most pleasant scent in the world but easy to get used to.


To mix the ingredients together I used a small bowl. I measured the right amount of spirulina (which is around 3ml) and added 30 ml of clear gel base.


Next I mixed everything together to get a sort of smooth, dark-green paste of gel-like consistency. The ingredients were easy to blend although I was afraid the paste would stain the bowl permanently. 


And this is the finished product:


I decided to apply the mask with my favourite flat foundation brush which I see as perfect for distributing any kind of face mask. Once on the face, the mask felt slightly tightening but generally comfortable.

I left the product for 15 minutes and then washed it off with lukewarm water. I found the process of washing the face slightly annoying as the green paste was a pain to remove. I did love the end result, however: skin looked visibly clearer, pores smaller and the whole face just seemed brighter.


Although I have only tried it once I am very happy with my purchase. It is definitely not the easiest mask to apply and it requires some time (and some cleaning and washing-up after) but the results are worth the additional effort. It is also not the easiest mask to get hold of as the brand is Polish and the actual product is available only at professional beauty salons. I am sure however, that similar face masks, based on 100% algae spirulina, can be purchased from other brands and can provide similar results.

And, just to make your day, a photo of me with a mask on. This may be one of those products you want to apply when nobody is at home :)


No comments:

Post a Comment