Search This Blog

Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Treasures of...Greece



I hope for the "Treasures of..." series to be particularly useful to those of you who love to try new, often unique, cosmetics from all over the world. In today's post I focus on Greece - one of my favourite countries when it comes to natural beauty products. Greeks now how to transform raw ingredients, such as various oils and fruit extracts, into the most amazing and effective beauty remedies. 




Mythos Body Butter, Korres Lip Butters in Mango and Pomegranate Korres Wild Rose Brightening Cream, Korres Wild Rose  Brightening Eye Cream, Olio Derm Repairing Hair Mask

Olio Derm Repairing Hair Mask for Dry/Damaged Hair with Olive Oil (250ml). I purchased this product while on holiday in Crete and I've been amazed ever since by how well it works on my dry ends. The mask's main active ingredient is olive oil which can be found in many Greek cosmetics (body creams, soaps, hand creams, skincare and many more). Homer called the very extract from olive trees  ' the liquid oil', mainly due to its rejuvenating and nourishing properties.  Enriched with vitamin E, this olive oil mask claims to soften, improve elasticity and moisturise your hair. I am a big fan of its thick formula (believe me, a little goes a long way with this product)  and of its scent . The results are noticeable almost directly and my hair is shiny and visibly nourished. Price varies between 8-9 euros. You can buy it here (the name of the brand is different on the website but it's basically the same product).



Mythos Body Butter with Olive and Pomegranate (200ml). This product has already an established position in the beauty world with many rave reviews all over the blogosphere. The actual butter comes in a few different scents with one ingredient - our beloved olive oil- recurring across the range. I went for pomegranate and olive blend mainly due to its lovely fruity scent. My mum bought one for herself too and we were both amazed with the results. It is hands down one of the best body butters I have ever used. It's thick in consistency but sinks into the skin easily, leaving my body soft and moisturized for the whole day. Although it has a detectable fragrance, it is subtle enough to go well with any perfume. Mythos products are paraben, silicone and mineral oil free, which makes them perfect for sensitive skins. Available online here.


Korres Lip Butter in Mango and Pomegranate
Korres Lip Butter in Mango and Pomegranate (6.00g). Korres is one the Greek brands that succeeded in elbowing their way into the international beauty market. While available worldwide, it is still a treat to buy it in Greece (look for it in local pharmacies), mainly because of significantly lower prices and wider selection (especially as regards make-up ). Lip Butters from Korres are particularly famous and have become a staple for those suffering from dry lips. I bought the pomegranate scent in Sweden and I immediately fell in love with it moisturising properties and velvety formula. Its only downside is the actual colour. Korres lips butters are all slightly tinted and the darker the colour in the pot, the more it stains your lips. This makes it harder to apply the butter without a mirror. For this reason, while in Greece this summer, I picked up another pot, this time mango-scented, as this particular colour is almost transparent on the lips and, therefore, I find it easy to pat it on the go.They are six scents (shades) available and they can be purchased here at feelunique.com.
Wild Rose Eye Cream and Moisturising Cream

Korres Wild Rose 24-h Moisturising Brightening Cream (40ml). This came in a set with an eye-cream and is a part of the Wild Rose range aimed at brightening and nourishing your complexion. I used a mask from the same range before and I was extremely happy with the results so I jumped at the opportunity to buy a gift set for just under 18 euros. The cream has a distinctive scent to it - quite natural and a bit pharmaceutical - but different from a typical musky rose fragrance. Despite claiming to be moisturising, the formula is very light, which makes it a perfect base for any foundation. I've noticed that my skin has become brighter since I started using it but I think I prefer more heavy-duty creams for  harsh winter we have in Sweden. I recommend using it in the spring and summer months to inject some radiance into your skin. Available here with free shipping and fast-delivery options.
Top: Wild Rose Eye Cream; Bottom: Wild Rose Brightening Cream
Korres Wild Rose Brightening Eye Cream SPF 15 for Fine Lines and Dark Circles (15ml). A baby brother to the Wild Rose 24 h Cream, this eye lotion is very effective when it comes to brightening my notorious dark circles. I actually noticed a difference after two weeks of using the cream every day. The formula is light and non-greasy so I can use it under my concealer without it getting cakey. I adore the old school packaging - it makes application very easy and looks nice on my bathroom shelf. The cream has a familiar rosy scent and can be purchased here.

Greece is definitely worth visiting not only for its cultural value and amazing weather but also for some beauty treasure hunt. Let me know in the comments if there are any other Greek cosmetics or brands worth trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment