Search This Blog

Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Brand focus: goodies from Kiehl's

Left: Ultra Facial Oil-Free Toner, Over-Night Biological Peel, Ultra Facial Oil-Free Cleanser, Creamy Eye Treatment, Ultra Light Daily Defense.
I like reading blog posts devoted to a particular brand. Sometimes it is simply useful to know what particular label has to offer, especially when encountering their products for the first time. I had a look at my own stash and I realized there're certain brands I clearly lean towards. 
I hope to make this a regular thing on my blog and I thought I could start with one of my beloved skincare brands - Kiehl's.
Ultra Facial Toner and Cleanser

Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Cleanser. Another cleanser in my cleansing-obsessive collection, this handy tube lives in my shower and I use it in the mornings to wash my face and to freshen up. It can also be used to remove your make-up but you should avoid using it around your eyes as it really hurts. The cleanser is oil-free which means it agrees with combination/oily skin. I have to admit it is my least favourite of all the products I own from Kiehl's. I actually do not like the oil-free formula in this one, mainly as it leaves my skin feeling a bit tight and almost unpleasant to touch (although nothing that a toner and a cream cannot fix). Having said that, I like the cleansing effect it gives, so I may try this one in a normal, more moisturizing version. Kiehl's Cleanser is perfume-free and retails for £15 in UK and SEK 155 in Sweden for a 150 ml tube.

Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Toner. Belonging to the same family as the cleanser, this toner is quite a recent discovery but has already become a staple in my skincare routine. I love its light scent although I find it hard to describe. After using the toner, my skin feels refreshed and balanced. It helps to calm any redness caused by cleansing and it preps my face for a serum or cream. I also adore the actual packaging - all Kiehl's products have quite simple, pharmaceutical look which give this impression of professionalism and sophistication. You can buy a 250 ml bottle at kiehls.co.uk for £15 and at kiehls.se for SEK 155.
Left: Over-Night Biological Peel, Creamy Eye Treament, Ultra Light Daily Defense,

Avocado Creamy Eye Treatment
Kieihl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado. This eye cream has been on my wishlist for so long, ever since I heard Becky's review from TalkBeckyTalk. Finally I caved in and purchased this little pot of heaven. First of all, let me start with the colour - it's green, like a real avocado, which makes you believe they actually put some of the stuff into the mix. The scent, as with the toner, is very mild, almost undetectable but pleasant. The best thing about this product is, however, its consistency and what it does to your under-eye area. The cream is very thick (as you can probably tell from the picture) but it sinks into your skin like a dream and leaves it soft and nourished. I only use it at night because I find it to rich during the day (it doesn't work with my concealer) but for those who suffer from really dry patches around the eyes, this could work as both day and night eye cream. It doesn't have any official anti-ageing properties but it moisturizes which I believe to be the key to keeping youthful, wrinkle-free face. The packaging is cute as well. You can buy a 14 ml pot for SEK 230 in Sweden or a Jumbo Size version for £33 in UK.
Ultra Light Daily UV Defense

Kiehl's Ultra Light UV Defense SPF 50 is a sun cream for your face with high SPF and UVA and UVB sunscreen protection. It can be used in combination with your regular day cream or on its own, as a moisturizer. It has a light formula which blends very well into the skin and sinks in almost instantly. I also didn't notice any annoying white residue that other sun creams tend to leave. The cream works perfectly under any foundation and doesn't make me look shiny throughout the day. I can definitely recommend it to anyone in search of a good sun lotion to use on everyday basis and with high SPF. As I generally don't have very sensitive skin when it comes to sun exposure, I do find myself using the cream mainly during summer months or when I go skiing; otherwise I rely on my foundation with SPF for sun protection. But if you have to be particularly careful even on less sunny days or just prefer to have high SPF all the time then Ultra Light UV Defence is a product for you. You can buy it at www.kiehls.co.uk for £31 and at www.kiehls.se for SEK 265. 


Over-Night Biological Peel
Kiehl's Overnight Biological Peel. The most unique product in my Kiehl's collection but also the one evoking quite mixed feelings. The website describes it as "an oil-free, gentle overnight peel that helps exfoliate away dead surface skin cells and other impurities." I find this product to be something in between chemical exfoliant and serum. Its formula resembles a typical serum or a silicone base, especially when it comes to its smooth texture and silky finish. It's supposed to be used after a toner and left overnight to work (without any moisturizer over it). In the long run, its role is to minimize pores and help with uneven pigmentation. I personally haven't noticed any major results in this area (hence my ambivalent feelings towards it) but I do like the way my face looks the morning after. The skin is visibly more radiant and rested. I also like using it when I feel like I have some break-outs on the way as it seems to help to reduce redness around the spots. For purchase at www.kiehls.co.uk for £39.50 and at www.kiehls.se for SEK 410.

Have you tried any of these products? Do you have other favourites from Kiehl's? Next on my list is Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate so I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment