Search This Blog

Sunday, 3 November 2013

Metallic nails

From left: Zoya Jules, Dior Destin, Chanel Quartz, Butter London Yummy Mummy, Orly Rage
The winter is coming, no denying that. I live in Sweden and at this time of the year we hardly get any sun. Along with the changing weather, my nail colour preferences change as well. I say goodbye to orange reds, bright purples, neon pinks and minty colours (even to my favourite Essie's Mint Candy Apple). I make room for burgundy and plummy nail polishes, for greys and browns and finally for that full-on sparkle and glitter.



Now imagine a nail polish that combines all those favourite features. It has this wintery,nude/grey/purple colour and the most amazing sparkly finish. It all started with Dior's limited edition collection for autumn 2013. I absolutely fell in love with their metallic nail polish, called Destin. Being a nail polish addict I couldn't refrain from buying it but when I got home I browsed through my collection and found a few colours that fitted the same trend. I thought I may share them with you:

From left (excuse my dry cuticles): Orly Rage, Butter London Yummy Mummy, Chanel Quartz, Dior Destin, Zoya Jules.
Dior Destin and Chanel Quartz
To start with the high-end ones, both Chanel's Quartz and Dior's Destin are pretty unique colours. Destin seems almost lilac and the finish is more metallic and pearly, compared to Quartz. Chanel polish has a visibly brown/golden hue to it and. when it comes to its finish, it's a combination of metallic and tiny glitter wich is very light-reflective. Both of them are easy to apply, especially Dior, thanks to its wide brush. Destin is opaque with just one coat while Quartz definitely needs two coats to be opaque on the nails. Durability is unfortunately not very impressive. On my nails Dior stays chip-free between 3-4 days, Chanel chips already after second day (something Chanel nail polishes are notorious for) even with my favourite Seche Vite top coat.

Three other polishes I want to talk about are a bit cheaper and also perform much better when it comes to their lasting power. Zoya's Jules is a lovely nude with fine gold glitter running through it. It has such beautiful sheen to it and looks particularly eye-catching in the natural light. I find it to be work-appropriate as the colour is very subtle. Jules applies easily and is opaque after two coats. When it comes to Zoya nail polishes in general, their lasting power is amazing - up to 6 days on my nails.
Rage by Orly is a stunner: an almost true rose gold colour, a perfect blend of beige, pink, gold and purple. It has glittery finish, fully opaque after two coats, and the effect is foil-like. Its lasting power is pretty good altough it takes much longer to dry than any other of the colours I mention here. The brush is pretty tricky to use at times and I find it hard to be precise during application. It is also a pain to remove - being a glitter it basically sticks to your nails and it requires some work and loads of remover to get rid of it from your nails. The colour, however, makes up for all the trouble.
Butter London's Yummy Mummy is my favourite of the bunch. It's a greyish nude with a very subtle microglitter, almost undetectable in certain light.  Definitely school and work appropriate, Yummy Mummy is a nice variation on the typical nude nail polishes. It is also a dream to apply and it will last on your for good 4-6 days, depending on your nails. Opaque after two coats.

What are your favourite nail polishes for the autumn/winter season? Do you also like changing your nail colour depending on the weather outside?




No comments:

Post a Comment