Search This Blog

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Ecoholism or are we being manipulated?

Last Thursday my husband gave me an interesting albeit controversial article to read. It really made me think. It was written by Johan Norberg, a writer and historian, who decided to contribute to a heated debate about natural ingredients in food and cosmetics. His claim was that we were being manipulated by an overwhelming eco-fashion, enhanced by pseudo-scientific claims which makes us believe that chemicals means potential death and natural is the only way to live. 

Red Clay Mask - 100% natural
Despite the facts that 1) I'm not a scientist 2) I do love trying new cosmetics containing high quality ingredients, I find myself feel more and more irritated with this recent phenomenon. Every time I look through a magazine, read blogs or watch YouTube channels, I get constantly lectured about all the evil deeds committed by parabens, SLS, silicons and other poisonous or damaging substances, all that I apparently swallow, rub onto my body or simply inhale on everyday basis. Unfortunately, quite often those theories have no scientific background but are filled with generalizations and popular beliefs. 

As a result of my potentially bad choices when it comes to cosmetics, I can lose some hair, get dry skin and even some pimples. That is, of course,the best-case scenario. In the worst-case scenario, over-exposure to chemicals used in beauty products may lead to cancer. Quite a scary thought for someone who has unwittingly been absorbing all those toxins for the last thirty years. Well, twenty nice years because nowadays I am a conscious, well-informed individual who knows to watch out for 'alcohol' on the ingredient list list and jump with excitement every time I see the word 'oil'. 

100% Argan Oil

I think the gist of the problem lies with the very word 'natural' quite often interchanged with 'eco-friendly' and 'organic'. It all started with food and, before we knew it, it transferred to other aspects of our lives, beauty industry quickly joining the party. But what is really natural? Is natural really that good for us? Norberg claims in his article that we often mistake 'natural' for 'healthy' and 'safe'. In his opinion, modern research shows that natural ingredients are as likely to be poisonous for us as chemicals. Moreover, he underlines that with the majority of blacklisted chemical additives, such as dioxane and sodium lauryl sulphate, it is only an actual overdose (such as using around hundred tubes of toothpaste in one day) that can harm us in any way.

His point is that we should remain sensible in the world where everything is just a part of a thought-through marketing plan and where we often are not equipped with enough knowledge regarding what chemical and natural is to make any objective claims. I couldn't agree more.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that there are many positive aspects of this 'ecoholism.' We think about what we eat and what we use. We are more aware as consumers. We have more to choose from which makes it easier for us to find something that suits our needs.We get to discover and try almost everything that the nature has to offer, often in an almost pure form.

Coconut oil

Therefore, If I want to use pure, cold-pressed coconut oil to nourish my skin and hair and it works well for me, then nobody has a right to stop me from doing it. But if I don't mind using a shampoo that has SLS  in it and I do not find it to be irritating or harming me in any way then why make me feel guilty because I use something with chemicals in it?  

I'm a bit perplexed as to why many beauty bloggers and vloggers, every time they buy a conditioner with parabens or silicones in it, feel the need to excuse themselves for doing it: "I had to buy this silicone-packed product because my hair just needed it." Why just not simply say: "I prefer this conditioner because it makes my hair look and feel better."  Ironically, silicones are derived from a natural product called silica but, since they undergo a number of chemical processes, they've been labeled as harmful. And yes, I know that silicones are said to attach to the surface of your hair without actually moisturizing it but if my hair looks good and I experience no problems with my scalp then why do I have to apologize for using something I like just because it is not natural?

An example of "blacklisted" ingredients; here REN face masks

Ecoholism taught us to read ingredient lists and that's a great habit to take up. But not to frown with discontent every time we see the words 'alcohol', 'silicone' or 'paraben' but rather to think about how companies use the 'natural' trend to earn more money. How many times have we been tempted to buy something with the catchphrases like 'argan oil' or 'natural extracts' written all over the front label only to see in reality that natural extract or oil is situated last on the ingredient list and probably does not exceed 0,01%?

Korres, a Greek brand which claims to use mostly natural ingredients.

To sum up, I think both sides have something important to say and the truth, as always, lies somewhere in-between. We should benefit from the eco-friendly trend by becoming conscious and demanding consumers. But, as with everything, common sense, moderation and certain knowledge are necessary to remain level-headed and not get manipulated. After all, we do know what our body needs and what makes it feel better. 




As I am writing this I am sitting with my Korres Wild Rose Face Mask on. It's 99% natural. I like it. Because it works and because it smells nice. Not because of that percentage.




No comments:

Post a Comment